Health Professionals Speak Out Against Water Fluoridation
World wide there are many doctors, dentists, scientists, environmental chemists and
water treatment experts that adamantly oppose water fluoridation because of it’s
negative impacts on human health and the environment. Below is just a small group of
the growing number of health professionals who are calling for an end to water
Russell L. Blaylock, MD
Dr. Blaylock is a board certified neurosurgeon, author and lecturer. He attended the LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans and completed his general surgical internship and neurosurgical residency at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina.
During his residency he ran the neurology program for one year and did a fellowship in neurosurgery after his residency. For the past 25 years he has practiced neurosurgery in addition to having a nutritional practice. He recently retired from both practices to devote full time to nutritional studies and research.
He has continued a close personal friendship with Dr. Kempe over the ensuing years, who at age 91 continues to study neuroanatomy, ornithology and is an editor of a major journal on medieval studies. Of special note, Dr. Kempe climbed the Himalayan mountains at age 87, a testament of his robust health and enduring love of adventure..
It was during his residency that Dr. Blaylock did much of the primary work on intraventricular monitoring of craniocerebral trauma patients, which was reported in the scientific literature. He also worked closely with Dr. Peter Jannetta during Dr. Jennetta’s early research on vascular compression of the cranial nerves as a cause of trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm. Dr. Blaylock was one of the first neurosurgeons to utilize high-intensity nutritional supplementation in craniocerebral trauma patients, which met with great success.
Dr. Blaylock has written and illustrated three books. The first book was on the subject of excitotoxins (Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills) and how they are related to diseases of the nervous system. His second book, Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life, covers the common basis of all diseases, nutritional protection against diseases of aging, protection against heavy metal toxicity, the fluoride debate, pesticide and herbicide toxicity, excitotoxin update, the vaccine controversy, protection against heart attacks and strokes and contains a new chapter on omega-3 fats. This book has been newly revised as an oversized paperback. His third book, Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients, was released in April, 2003 and discusses the ways to defeat cancer, enhance the effectiveness of conventional treatments and prevent complications associated with these treatments. In addition, he has written and illustrated three chapters in medical textbooks, written a booklet on nutritional protection against biological terrorism and written and illustrated a booklet on multiple sclerosis. He has written over 30 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals on a number of subjects.
Since the publication of his first book he has been a guest on numerous national and international syndicated radio programs and appeared on the 700 Club several times. He appeared on Nutritionally Living with Dr. Ward Bond. Presently, he is engaged in a monthly radio program discussing his book, Health and Nutrition Secrets on Raymond Francis’ program Beyond Health. The series will run for 12 months. He lectures widely to both lay and professional medical audiences on a variety of nutritional subjects.
Dr. Blaylock serves on the editorial staff of the Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association and is on the editorial staff of the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, official journal of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. He serves on the editorial board of the journal Fluoride, official journal of the International Society for Fluoride Research. He has a monthly nutrition newsletter, published by NewsMax.com, The Blaylock Wellness Newsletter.
Dr. Blaylock serves as the medical consultant for the Fluoride Toxicity Research Collaborative. He was recently awarded the Integrity in Science award by the Westin Price Foundation. Presently, he is a visiting professor in the department of biological sciences at Belhaven College in Jackson, Mississippi.
At present he is a member of the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, the American Nutraceutical Association, the International and American Associations of Clinical Nutritionist, American College of Nutrition, American Association for Health Freedom, National Health Federation, American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation. He was recently appointed as a member of the Scientific Advisory Panel of the Life-Extension Foundation.
Surgeon . Author . Lecturer . Educator
Taken from http://www.russellblaylockmd.com/ (November 30, 2014)
George L. Waldbott, M.D.
Waldbott, the son of Leo Waldbott and Hermine Rosenberger, was born in 1898 in Speyer, Germany. Both his parents were Jewish. Waldbott studied medicine in Heidelberg and graduated as a Dr. med. from the Medical School of the University of Heidelberg in 1921. Afterwards he emigrated to the United States, where he interned at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He specialized in the research and treatment of allergies. In this field he published several books and more than 200 scientific articles, many in American Medical Association journals. His Health Effects of Environmental Pollutants (2nd edition, March 1978) was used as a textbook in universities in the United States and abroad. Waldbott was a pioneer in the study of allergies, and the founder and chief of allergy clinics in four Detroit hospitals. He was president of the Michigan Branch of the American College of Chest Physicians, Chairman of the Air Pollution Committee and of the American Academy of Allergy.
Waldbott is noted for his fundamental research on human anaphylaxis and penicillin shock, allergy-induced respiratory problems, and later in his career, the health impact of air pollutants. Waldbott was one of the first to recognize the connection between allergies and what was then known as “thymic death.” His multiple publications in medical journals educated his generation of physicians about the causes and symptoms of anaphylactic shock.
In 1953, Waldbott was the first to recognize and describe a new disease he called “Smoker’s Respiratory Syndrome.” This was the first association between tobacco smoking and chronic respiratory disease. Up until that point, the condition was known as idiopathic asthma.
In the mid Fifties, Waldbott began conducting research in fluoride toxicity, becoming one of the first physicians to warn against what he believed was adverse health effects of water fluoridation, particularly among patients in his allergy practice he considered “hypersensitive” to fluoride. He conducted double blind studies and published his findings. One of his many awards was from the journal Cutis in March 1972 for his manuscript co-authored with Dr. V. A. Cecilioni on Chizzola Maculae, describing the skin lesion as a diagnostic tool for the identification of chronic fluoride poisoning. A founder of the International Society for Fluoride Research, he was considered one of the key figures in the anti-fluoridation movement for over two decades. 
A book review of Waldbott’s book Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma in the journal New Scientist closes with this statement “Laymen, including those concerned with decisions on fluoridation, will be impressed by what seems to be the reasonableness of the case, oblivious to the omissions and obsolete presuppositions upon which much of it is based.”
- Waldbott, GL: Contact Dermatitis. Springfield, Ill.: Thomas, 1953
- Waldbott, GL, Exner, FB, Rorty, J (ed.): The American Fluoridation Experiment. Devin-Adair, NY, 1957
- Waldbott, GL: A Struggle With Titans: Forces Behind Fluoridation.Carlton Press, New York, 1965
- Waldbott, GL: Health Effects of Environmental Pollutants. Mosby, St Louis, 1973
- Waldbott, GL, Burgstahler AW, McKinney HL.: Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma. Coronado Press, Lawrence, Kansas, 1978
- Jump up^George L. Waldbott Papers, 1930-1989. Special Collections & University Archives. UMass Amherst.
- Jump up^Waldbott GL, Burgstahler AW, McKinney HL.: Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma. Coronado Press, Lawrence, Kansas 1978. pp. 421-422
- Jump up^George L. Waldbott Papers, 1930-1989. Special Collections & University Archives. UMass Amherst.
- Jump up^ George. L. M.D. So-Called Thymic Death IV. The Pathologic Process in Thirty-Four Cases. The American Journal of Diseases in Children. 47:41-60. 1934. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1154437
- Jump up^ George. L. M.D. So-Called Thymic Death v. Respiratory Sensitization to General and Local Anesthetics. Arch Otolaryngol. 1933;17(4):549-553. 1933. doi:10.1001/archotol.1933.03570050539005
- Jump up^Waldbott, George L. M.D. The Allergic Theory of So-Called Thymic Death. JAMA. 1935;105(9):657-660. doi:10.1001/jama.1935.02760350017006.
- Jump up^Waldbott, George L. A Struggle with Titans. 1965. USA
- Jump up^Waldbott, George L. M.D. “Smokers’ Respiratory Syndrome. A Clinical Entity.” Journal of American Medical Association. 151:398. 1953.
- Jump up^George L. Waldbott Papers, 1930-1989. Special Collections & University Archives. UMass Amherst.
- Jump up^
- Jump up^Chizzola Maculae. Journal of Occupational Medicine: February 1971 – Volume 13 – Issue 2 – ppg 100
- Jump up^Waldbott GL: A Struggle With Titans: Forces Behind Fluoridation. Carlton Press, New York 1965
- Jump up^Waldbott GL, Burgstahler AW, McKinney HL.: Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma. 1978.
- Jump up^:Jenkins, G. Neil (28 June 1979), “Review of Fluoridation: The great dilemma“, New Scientist: 1108, retrieved 30 September 2010
- George L. Waldbott Papers, 1930-1989 at UMass Amherst
- The Preskeletal Phase of Chronic Fluoride Intoxication
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Waldbott (April 11, 2015)
LIST of MAJOR SYMPTOMS: CHRONIC FLUORIDE TOXICITY SYNDROME
FLUORIDE JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR FLUORIDE RESEARCH
Dr. Richard Sauerheber
James S. Beck M.D., PhD., Calgary AB
Canadian Water Fluoridation Deputation
I am Professor Emeritus of Medical Biophysics, University of Calgary, a physician and a scientist (biophysicist) and a co-author of a 2010 book on fluoridation. Let me state two disclaimers: I have no financial or material interest in fluoridation and my royalties on sales of the book I co-authored are donated to the Fluoride Action Network.
I urge care in evaluating what you are told by both promoters and opponents of fluoridation. You should insist that we have evidence and common sense to back what we tell you. Promotors rarely cite primary research. Primary research is the definition of a problem and the collection, analysis and interpretation of data. Reviews are not primary research. In the case of fluoridation most reviews have been done by panels of fluoridation promotors selected by governments that promote fluoridation. The members of such panels are often dentists and few if any are scientists or professional risk analysts.
I have heard officials, dental and medical officers of health from Health Canada and from five different provinces, give false statements to city and town councils in their support of fluoridation. For the most part I don’t think they were lying; they just didn’t know much about the issues and the evidence. But it is difficult to understand how they can deny the very existence of the hundreds of peer-reviewed publications in credible scientific journals that indicate association of fluoridation with adverse effects on health.
We should be wary of diversions such as comparisons of fluoridation with fortifying salt with iodide and milk with vitamin D. The last two are nutrients with wide differences between what is essential and what is toxic. Fluoride is not a nutrient. It has never been shown to be essential for any biochemical or physiological function of the human body.
Comparison with chlorination is another diversion. It is done to kill dangerous microorganisms and the chlorine does not stay in the water we use as does fluoride. Another falsehood often heard is that the City Council of Calgary made an uninformed and hasty decision in stopping fluoridation. That is not only false but also insulting to a group of councillors who educated themselves over a decade on the scientific arguments about efficacy and safety of fluoridation. In the course of their deliberations they explicitly rejected proposals of another expert panel and another plebiscite. They rejected the panel because they believed, correctly, that it would not be possible to have an unbiased panel and that it would be an unnecessary delay. They rejected the-plebiscite for the reason that it is absurd to decide whether to take a medicine by asking your neighbors to vote on it. The officials who offer this insulting fabrication show themselves not to be credible.
Another criticism came from promoters in your area, that Calgary’s councillors were uninformed because there is no municipal public health department. Such a thing would be redundant because public health is a provincial responsibility. Also they received input extensively from Alberta Health Services which the majority of councillors came to distrust. Along with many councillors in many towns and cities I have concluded that fluoridation of public water supplies is not substantially effective, not safe, and not ethical. The science may not be obvious, but it is clear. The ethics is both clear and obvious. According to the Fluoride Action Network, “Since October 2010…29 communities have halted fluoridation. The total population that has been freed from forced fluoridation over the past year is approximately 2,571,500 people …. ” This is in Canada alone. In Canada and the United States over 300 jurisdictions have rejected fluoridation since 1990. European countries that had fluoridation stopped it during the 1970s for various combinations of three reasons (according to officials of those countries): not effective, not safe, not ethical. .ÿ
The ethical failings are: hexafluorosilicic acid and fluoride are untested for human toxicity and are unapproved by any government or qualified agency; there is no informed consent; the individual hasn’t the option to stop it; there is no monitoring of effects. The medical failings are: especially susceptible groups are not protected; the natural variation in a population of the response to a drug is not accounted for; the dose is not controlled. By the way, hexafluorosilicic acid and fluoride are drugs. They are nonnutrients administered for a medical purpose and the Supreme Court of Canada considered it a drug in a case in 1957.
Controlling the concentration in tap water does not control dose, even less does it control the dose per unit body weight. The amount of water drunk by an individual per day varies easily twenty-fold. Outdoor construction workers in warm climates, athletes, diabetics, infants and young children, among others, drink much more per unit body weight than does the average adult. Furthermore, there is unknown but substantial exposure–from food, processed drinks and residues from pesticides–which is not accommodated for in fluoridating jurisdictions.
Any sizable population includes a spread of sensitivity to any drug. The standard margin of safety to account for this intraspecies variation is 10. For example, if a harm is seen at a dose of 10 mg/day, then a maximum allowable dose would be set at 1 mg/day. In the case of fluoridation especially sensitive groups include infants, persons with low dietary iodine, persons with kidney disease–all consisting of substantial numbers of people in a population of the size under consideration.
Proponents propose that we fluoridate until there is absolute proof of harm (there is for some harms). This is irresponsible. Opponents propose that we don’t fluoridate until there is strong evidence that it is not harmful to any component of the population. This is the acceptable procedure, consistent with the duty to protect the health of all. We should ask ourselves, “How Would we feel if we allowed a program to continue for sixty years and then found out that it has been harmful..’?”
The precautionary principle is a useful guide in making a decision of this sort. It requires that the benefit of some procedure must be balanced against the possibilities and consequences of harms. If there is credible evidence of harm and the possible harm would significantly compromise health or well-being then only a procedure that issure to produce a benefit greater than the possible harm is justified. So the factors to be considered are the possible benefit, the possible harm, and whether there are feasible alternatives for producing the benefit.
In the case of fluoridation the possibility of harm is great, almost certain for some harms (dental fluorosis, thyroid suppression, hip fracture). The benefit is slight, probably nonexistent. There are harmless and accessible alternatives for attaining the desired benefit. Good diet and fluoridated toothpaste, not swallowed, are two such measures. So fluoridation does not pass the test of the precautionary principle.
.Flexafluorosilicic acid is very different from calcium fluoride which is the form of fluoride in lakes, rivers and aquifers, the usual sources of public water supplies. Hexafluorosilicic acid dissociates inwater to a large extent but reassociates to some extent in the stomach and apparently causes harm to the stomach and intestines and is associated with higher levels of lead, a recognized neurotoxin, in children’s blood. Hexafluorosilicic acid is received as a 23% solution in water with contaminants such as lead, arsenic, uranium and other heavy metals. These impurities are present in small amounts but some of them are very toxic. Curiously it is illegal to dump this into an ocean, lake or river or to put it into or onto the ground yet it is added to tap water. It is listed as a dangerous substance requiring special, and expensive, handling. It is costly in itself and also corrosive enough that water departments that use it face renovations costing millions of dollars every few years.
Proponents often say that fluoridation is merely “topping up” a natural component of a city’s water. But the natural fluoride calcium, fluoride. Much of the fluoride as calcium fluoride is excreted while about half of the ingested fluoride ion is sequestered in the body where it accumulates throughout the life of a person using fluoridated water.
It is now widely recognized, even among promoters of fluoridation that any benefit of fluoride in preventing cavities is topical–that is, acting directly on the tooth–not from ingestion. Furthermore, there are ways of getting this benefit–such as using fluoridated toothpaste, topical applications in dentist’s offices, and sodium fluoride rinses—which provide alternatives by choice for those who want it.
Professor (Dr) A K Susheela
Intending and Expectant Mothers urgently require to read or hear Professor A K Susheela speak on what may well save their Infants life or quality of life. World-renowned Professor (Dr) A K Susheela presently visiting Australia Warns on Fluoride Link to Miscarriages, Stillbirths and Retardation.
FEDERAL MINISTER FOR HEALTH & AGEING
Quote “Sadly, 1 in every 4 pregnancies ends in a loss from miscarriage and stillbirth”
According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, there were more than 2,900 perinatal deaths in Australia. In addition, each year many more parents experience the loss of a baby early in the pregnancy. Sadly, one in every four pregnancies ends in a loss from miscarriage and stillbirth. http://www.sandsvic.org.au
Professor (Dr) A.K. Susheela who is visiting Australia says long-term studies show fluoride is a serious threat to public health. It has not only has been linked to increased rates of stillbirth and miscarriages among Indian populations exposed to fluoride in water, but poses a serious risk of birth abnormalities including mental retardation.
Professor (Dr) A.K. Susheela of India, who has researched fluoride for more than 20 years, has listed a range of health issues linked to fluoride ingestion, she has more than 80 scientific publications in leading Western and Indian Journals.
Dr Susheela says the studies have shown fluoride destroys muscle structure and muscle function, depletes muscle energy; destroys the bone and teeth, red blood cells, blood vessels and the lining of the stomach and intestine.
“We now have ample scientific evidence to substantiate the fact that ingestion of fluoride prevents biosynthesis of hemoglobin leading to anemia in human beings. We have studied this problem in pregnant mothers. The danger of anemia in pregnancy is that it would lead to abnormalities in the development of the embryo/foetus,’’ says Dr Susheela.
“Studies also indicate it harms fetuses carried by pregnant women and may cause abortions and stillbirths.”
Dr Susheela says results of reducing fluoride in water include reduced abortions and stillbirths as fluoride is known to induce calcification of blood vessels of the fetus.
“It has been shown that when fluoride-contaminated water (>1.0 mg/L) and dental products are consumed or used by pregnant mothers, it destroys the thyroid gland of the embryo/foetus,’’ says Dr Susheela.
“When children with dental fluorosis were investigated, there were severe derangements in the thyroid hormone levels T3 (Triiodothyronine) and T4 (Tetraiodothyronine) along with Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). Such children suffer from sub-clinical hypothyroidism, T3 toxicosis, low T3 syndrome, primary hypothyroidism and disturbed hormone conversion.
“Thyroid hormone defects results in mental retardation (low IQ) in children, deaf mutism, knock-knee, bow-leg and cretinism.”
Dr Susheela says the results of the studies on women ingesting fluoride were reported at the 27th Conference of the International Society for Fluoride Research, Beijing, China, Oct. 2007. The study is: Fluoride Ingestion and Health Hazards with Focus on Anaemia in Pregnancy and low birth weight babies: Guidelines for rectification: Susheela A.K, Mondal NK, Rashmi G, Ganesh Kamala, Bhasin Shammi, Gupta Gunjan.
“The evidences we have provided on the harmful effects of fluoride on human health, unequivocally prove the point that fluoride is disease-causing and not disease preventing. Our scientific publications would not only stand the test of time but also before any judiciary in any part of the world, as it is based on biomedical research of highest standards,’’ says Dr Susheela.
“With a high degree of scientific accuracy and certainty, I conclude that artificial fluoridation of drinking water is an ineffective means of improving dental health, and is in fact quite dangerous to those forced to consume it.”
In regard to claims by Australian health authorities that water fluoridation strengthens teeth surfaces and prevents dental caries (cavities), Dr Susheela’s research indicates the opposite.
“The findings emerging from the studies on both tooth and bone have made significant contributions to negate the belief that fluoride is good for teeth. Instead, fluoride does more damage to teeth than any good and prolonged use of fluoride leads to a decrease in the organic matrix of rabbit tooth but dermatan sulphate content is increased,” says Dr Susheela.
Dr Susheela says India launched a Technology Mission on “Safe Drinking Water” in 1986 (now re-designated after the late Prime Minister Sh. Rajiv Gandhi, as Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission) in which every drinking water source in the rural sector is checked for water quality, especially for fluoride.
“People are keen to defluoridate the water due to gastrointestinal problems and are adopting indigenous technology for obtaining potable (defluoridated) water,’’ she said.
“Substantial scientific evidence has emerged in recent years from studies conducted on human subjects and hospital patients and those residing in areas/regions/villages where fluoride content ranges in drinking water from 0.5 ppm to 38.5 ppm,’’ said Dr Susheela.
She said the findings came after 20 years of follow-up studies that have now been concluded. The findings also included:
- Gastro-intestinal complaints are the earliest manifestations of fluoride toxicity and fluorosis. The most common complaints include (1) headache; (2) nausea (loss of appetite); (3) pain in the stomach; (4) gas formation in the stomach (bloated feeling); (5) constipation; (6) intermittent fermentation diarrhea.
- As a result of the above, gastro intestinal complaints in endemic areas are considered as early warning signs of the fluoride toxicity and are used as a diagnostic parameter under field based conditions. See report: Fluoride Ingestion and its Correlation with Gastrointestinal Discomfort.
- Fluoride in circulation has an affinity to get deposited in tissues rich in calcium although some amount is excreted. In children, the fluoride ingested has adverse effects on kidney function. See Fluoride: Too Much Can Cripple You.
- Significant findings emerged from studies on human patients with skeletal fluorosis. Degenerative changes were well defined at the ultrastructural level in the fluoresced muscle obtained from patients with skeletal fluorosis.
- Fluoride inhibits antibody formation in rabbits and may occur in human subjects as well.
- Fluoride inhibits protein and DNA synthesis in cultured lymphocytes.
“I am absolutely certain that large numbers of persons all around the world are suffering from fluoride toxicity, to one degree or other,’’ said Dr Susheela.
Dr Susheela is executive director, of the Fluorosis Research and Rural Development Foundation in India, Professor of Anatomy (Histocytochemistry) and Chief of the Fluoride and Fluorosis Research Laboratories, at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
Her post-doctoral training was under Lord Walton (Neurologist) of U.K. and Dr. Ade Milhorut of the Muscle Institute, New York, USA, (no longer exists).
Professor Susheela has written six doctorate papers in more than 20 years of scientific research in the field of fluoride toxicity and fluorosis.
Other academic positions:
- Visiting Professor at the Allan Hancock Fn. at the University of Southern California during 1974-76.
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Medical Sciences. She has held Faculty positions at the same Institute since 1969
- Winner of the prestigious Ran Baxy Research Foundation Award for outstanding research in medical sciences.
- Teacher of medical students of all levels and carrying out research and guiding research in the field of muscle diseases and Fluorosis for more than 20 years.
- An Ashoka Fellow recognised by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Dr Susheela is a Visiting Professor at the Allan Hancock Fn. at the University of Southern California during 1974-76.
- She is a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Medical Sciences.
- She has won the prestigious Ran Baxy Research Foundation Award (Cash Prize) for outstanding research in medical sciences.
- She has been involved in teaching medical students of all levels and carrying out research and guiding research in the field of muscle diseases and Fluorosis for more than 20 years.
- She is currently the executive director of Fluorosis Research and Rural Development Foundation Saransh.
- She is also an Ashoka Fellow recognised by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India & Registered under Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act 1976 under Section 6 (1) Permanent Eligibility No. 2 3 1 6 6 0 0 1
- Numerous funding organizations have been calling upon her during that time for evaluating projects for funding in the field of Biomedical Research.
- She has been a member of several National Committees since early 1970s, where issues related to Fluoride are debated and discussed.
- She has convened an International Conference on Fluoride and Fluorosis research in India in 1983. I edited a book on Fluoride Toxicity during 1985.
- She has been invited to speak on my experience in the field of Fluoride Research at various scientific meetings held in: (1) Japan; (2) Denmark; (3) Switzerland; (4) Kenya; (5) U.S.A. (several times); and (6) Hungary.
- She has guided 6 PhD theses in the subject of Fluoride and Health Hazards. A 7th Project is ongoing.
Intending and Expectant Mothers urgently require to read or hear Professor A K Susheela speak on what may well save their Infants life or quality of life.
AFFIDAVIT OF A.K. SUSHEELA, Ph.D.
IN SUPPORT OF MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT
Nation of India
City of New Dehli
- K. Susheela, Ph.D., being first duly sworn on oath, under penalty of perjury, and with personal knowledge of the information contained herein, respectfully states to the Court as follows:
- I, Dr. A. K. Susheela, have spent more than 20 years doing scientific research in the field of Fluoride Toxicity and Fluorosis.
- I am a full Professor of Anatomy (Histocytochemistry) and Chief of the Fluoride and Fluorosis Research Laboratories, at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- I have held Faculty positions at the same Institute since 1969.
- I am a Ph.D from India, with Post-doctoral training under LORD WALTON (Neurologist) of U.K. and Dr. Ade Milhorut of the Muscle Institute, New York, USA, (which no longer exists).
- I was a Visiting Professor at the Allan Hancock Fn. at the University of Southern California during 1974-76.
- I am a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Medical Sciences.
- I have won the prestigious Ran Baxy Research Foundation Award (Cash Prize) for outstanding research in medical sciences.
- I have been involved in teaching medical students of all levels and carrying out research and guiding research in the field of muscle diseases and Fluorosis for more than 20 years.
- My field of interest for the last 20 years has been Fluoride and Health Hazards.
- Numerous funding organizations have been calling upon me during that time for evaluating projects for funding in the field of Biomedical Research.
- I have been a member of several National Committees since early 1970s, where issues related to Fluoride are debated and discussed.
- I have convened an International Conference on Fluoride and Fluorosis research in India in 1983. I edited a book on Fluoride Toxicity during 1985.
- I have been invited to speak on my experience in the field of Fluoride Research at various scientific meetings held in: (1) Japan; (2) Denmark; (3) Switzerland; (4) Kenya; (5) U.S.A. (several times); and (6) Hungary.
- I have guided 6 Ph.D theses in the subject of Fluoride and Health Hazards. A 7th Project is ongoing.
- I have more than 80 scientific publications in leading Western and Indian Journals.
SAFETY OF FLUORIDATION
- From my extensive experience, I state without hesitation and with a high degree of scientific certainty, the following evaluation of fluoridation.
- Fluoride destroys muscle structure, muscle function and depletes muscle energy.
- Fluoride destroys the bone.
- Fluoride destroys the teeth.
- Fluoride destroys the RBCs.
- Fluoride destroys the Blood Vessels.
- Fluoride destroys the lining of the stomach and intestine causing GI problems.
- Evidence that is forthcoming also strongly suggests that in some individuals it causes infertility (not in all, depending on their hormonal status).
- Substantial scientific evidences has emerged in recent years from studies conducted on Human Subjects and Hospital patients & those residing in areas/ regions/villages where fluoride content ranges in drinking water from 0.5 p.m to 38.5 ppm.
- Twenty years of follow-up studies have now been concluded and the important findings include the following.
- Gastro-intestinal complaints are the earliest manifestations of Fluoride toxicity and Fluorosis. The most common complaints include (1) Headache; (2) Nausea (Loss of appetite); (3) Pain in the stomach; (4) Gas formation in the stomach (bloated feeling); (5)Constipation; (6)Intermittent fermentation diarrhea.
- As a result of the above, GI complaints in endemic areas are considered as early warning signs of the fluoride toxicity and are used as a diagnostic parameter under field based conditions. See Fluoride Ingestion and its Correlation with Gastrointestinal Discomfort. (Exhibit____).
- Studies on human teeth have shown that fluoride alters a chemical substance in the matrix of the tooth. The mineralization process is abnormal, leading to changes in mineral content, and cavities or pitting are known to occur.
- In other words, Fluoride induces cavity formation, as well as discoloration of teeth. It is also evident that use of fluoride can lead to loss of teeth at an early age and one becomes edentulous. See The Status of Sulphated Isomers of Glycosaminoglycans in Fluorosed Human Teeth. (Exhibit____).
- Fluoride in circulation has an affinity to get deposited in tissues rich in calcium although some amount is excreted. In children, the fluoride ingested has adverse effects on kidney function. See Fluoride: Too Much Can Cripple You. (Exhibit____).
- During the last 20 years, six Doctorate Degrees which were carried out under my supervision and guidance have been conferred on theses on Fluoride Toxicity & Fluorosis.
- Thesis No.1 (Ph.D): “Muscular and Neural manifestations in Fluoride Toxicity in Rabbit and Man”. Submitted to All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and conferred the Ph.D. degree to RAJ D. KAUL in 1976.
- Significant Findings emerged from studies on human patients of skeletal fluorosis. Degenerative changes were well defined at the ultrastructural level in the fluoresced muscle obtained from patients of Skeletal Fluorosis.
- Thesis No.2 (Ph.D): “Certain structural and functional aspects of bone with reference to Fluoride Poisoning”. Submitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and conferred the degree of Doctor of Philosophy to MR. MOHAN JHA during the year 1983.
- Significant findings emerged from the thesis and have added a new dimension to our understanding of fluoride poisoning and fluorosis. The thesis has reported a sensitive blood based test which has been developed based on the chemical defects occurring in the tissues as a result of fluoride poisoning.
- Thesis No.3 “Erythrocyte membrane abnormalities during Fluoride Toxicity and Fluorosis”. Submitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and conferred the Doctorate degree to MR. SURESH K. JAIN in 1987.
- Significant findings emerged from the thesis, showing that fluoride inhibits the activity of enzymes of Glucose-6-Po dehydrogenase and pyruvate kinase in erythrocytes leading to impairment of carbohydrate metabolism.
- Fluoride adversely affects membrane bound enzyme (ATP – ase) and affects the transfer of calcium and magnesium ions in erythrocytes.
- Fluoride inhibits antibody formation in rabbits and may occur in human subjects as well.
- Fluoride inhibits protein and DNA synthesis in cultured lymphocytes.
- Fluoride reduces the number of lymprocytes in circulation by inhibiting their proliferation.
- Thesis No. 4 (Ph.D): “Fluoride Toxicity Studies on Glycosaminoglycans and its Sulphated Isomers in the Calcified Tissues” Submitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences and conferred the degree of Ph.D. to MR. KAMAL SHARMA in the year 1988.
- The findings emerging from the studies on both tooth & bone have made significant contributions to negate the belief that fluoride is good for teeth.
- Instead, Fluoride does more damage to teeth than any good. Prolonged use of fluoride leads to a decrease in the organic matrix of rabbit tooth but Dermatan Sulphate content is increased.
- High Dermatan Sulphate content appears to be the detrimental factor in causing dental fluorosis.
- Thesis No. 5 (Ph.D): “Effects of excess fluoride ingestion on calcification of bone with reference to Glucocorticoids”. Submitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and conferred the degree of Ph.D to MR. TAPOSH K. DAS during 1991.
- The above treatise has contributed significant, novel information in the understanding of the pathogenesis of skeletal abnormalities occurring in chronic fluoride toxicity and fluorosis.
- Reduced plasma cortisol levels in patients afflicted with fluorosis is reported for the first time. Fluoride treated animals also produced less cortisol and revealed adrenocortical hypofunction.
- The study also revealed for the first time, pituitary gland hypofunction which is possibly the reason for adrenal insufficiency in the production of steroid hormone.
- Fluoride toxicity was shown to impair cortisol production, thereby altering the bone matrix constitution both organic and inorganic, leading to defective and abnormal mineralization process.
- Thesis No. 6 (Ph.D): “Effect of fluoride on soft tissues – Structural and Biochemical studies”. Submitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and conferred the degree of Ph.D to MRS. POONAM KHARB during 1991.
- This thesis focuses on the biochemical mechanism of ectopic or soft tissue calcification.
- Although the treatise was completely devoted to animal studies, it offers the message to both the developing and developed world, particularly in the prevention of cardiac problems. Aortic calcification, which is very frequently occurring, perhaps is a result of excess ingestion of fluoride through food, water, drugs, cosmetics like tooth paste/mouth rinses and fluoridated water.
- The disappearance of Dermatan Sulphate from soft tissue (which normally has high concentration of Dermatan Sulphate) is the beginning of nucleation for calcification of the soft tissue. This process is activated by fluoride.
- The impact of the above contributions in the Indian National scene has been significant.
- India launched a Technology Mission on “Safe Drinking Water” in 1986 (now re-designated after the late Prime Minister Sh. Rajiv Gandhi, as Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission) in which every drinking water source in the rural sector is checked for water quality, specially for Fluoride.
- People are keen to defluoridate the water due to gastrointestinal problems and are adopting indigenous technology for obtaining potable (defluoridated) water.
- Results include reduced abortions (as Fluoride is known to induce calcification of blood vessels of the fetus).
- Reduced still births (as Fluoride is known to induce calcification of blood vessels of the fetus).
- I am absolutely certain that large numbers of persons all around the world are suffering from Fluoride Toxicity, to one degree or other.
- The various and frequent health complaints, caused by fluoride ingestion, are often (or invariably) over-looked due to unawareness at all levels, which include the health professionals or, perhaps, due to the prevailing ill conceived, unscientific notion that “fluoride is good for teeth.”
- Fluoride is potentially a dangerous chemical and a poisonous substance, which does no good to the human body.
- With a high degree of scientific accuracy and certainty, I conclude that artificial fluoridation of drinking water is an ineffective means of improving dental health, and is in fact quite dangerous to those forced to consume it.
- I make this Affidavit in support of the Plaintiff’s Motion for Summary Judgment.
To read the other affidavits submitted in this lawsuit visit: http://www.rvi.net/~fluoride/susheela.htm (and scroll to bottom of page)
Dr. Albert W Burgstahler
- S., 1949, University of Notre Dame
- M., 1950, Ph.D., 1953, Harvard University
- Eli Lilly NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, 1952-1953, Birkbeck College, London, England
- Temporary Instructor, 1953-1954, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, 1954-1955, University of Wisconsin , Madison
- Instructor, 1956-1957
- Assistant Professor, 1957-1961; Associate Professor, 1961-1965; Professor, 1965-1998, Professor Emeritus, 1998-present, University of Kansas
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellow, 1961-1964, University of Kansas
Throughout much of his career, Professor Burgstahler was actively engaged in research on the synthesis and chemistry of natural products. In later years he conducted studies on the chiroptical properties of chiral dienes and enones and devised a variety of undergraduate chemistry experiments and lecture demonstrations. Following his retirement in 1998, he was elected and continues to be editor of the quarterly scientific journal FLUORIDE founded in 1968 by the International Society for Fluoride Research. Since 1997 he has also been engaged in intensive research on the Shakespeare authorship problem.
Burgstahler, A.W. Editorial: Residual Fluoride in Food Fumigated with Sulfuryl Fluoride. Fluoride 2005, 38, 175-177.
Burgstahler, A.W. In Memoriam: Albert Schatz—Actual Discoverer of Streptomycin (1920–2005). Fluoride 2005, 38, 95-97.
Burgstahler, A.W.; Limeback, H. Editorial: Retreat of the Fluoride-Fluoridation Paradigm. Fluoride 2004, 37, 239-242.
Burgstahler, A.W. Editorial: Influence of Fluoride and Lead on Children’s IQ: U.S. Tolerance Standards in Question. Fluoride 2003, 36, 79-81.
Burgstahler, A.W. Editorial: Paradoxical Concentration Effects of Fluoride. Fluoride 2002, 35, 143-147, 230.
Burgstahler, A.W.; Bricker, C.E. Measuring the Heat of Sublimation of Dry Ice with a Polystyrofoam Cup Calorimeter. J. Chem. Educ. 1991, 68, 232-233.
Burgstahler, A.W.; Robinson, M.R. Fluoride in California Wines and Raisins. Fluoride 1997, 30, 142-146.
Burgstahler, A.W.; Jahansouz, H.; Véliz, E.A.; Takasugawa, F. Diene Chirality and Cotton Effects of Nonhomoannular Cisoid Conjugated Dienes: Circular Dichroism and Crystal Structure of a Steroidal 19-Nor-1(10),9(11)-diene Derived from Westphalen’s Diol Diacetate. Chirality 2002, 14, 180-186; 2003, 15, 206.
Taken from http://www2.ku.edu/~chem/faculty/burgstahler/index.shtml (December 30, 2014)
Lita Lee, Ph.D.
Dr. Roger Masters
Prof. Roger D. Masters has recently focused on eliminating dangerous toxins like silicofluoride and lead in the public water supplies because their harmful effects on children are even greater than on adults (if a child under 6 has high blood lead levels, recent studies indicate that individual brain volume will be reduced throughout adult life). To learn more about Dr. Master’s important work please follow the below link.